Goverment Services - Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD)

The Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD) program, formerly known as the Handicapped Children's Benefit (HCB), provides assistance for parents with some of the extra costs of caring for a child who has a disability. The purpose of the benefit is to help children who have disabilities live as normal a life as possible at home and in the community. In order to qualify for this program, financial and medical criteria must be met.

What funding and/or service(s) are provided under the ACSD program?

  • Financial assistance ranges from $25 to $440 per month, depending on the family's gross annual income and the number of other children in the family;
  • A child is eligible for a dental card; and
  • The program may help parents with extraordinary costs related to a child's condition. Examples include travel to doctors and hospitals, special shoes and clothing, parental relief, wheelchair repairs, hearing aid batteries, and financial assistance for basic dental care, drugs, eyeglasses, and hearing aids.

Who is eligible for this program?

The child must be under 18 years of age and live at home with a parent or a legal guardian. The income of a family will be evaluated to determine qualification. The child must have a severe disability that results in a functional loss. Extraordinary costs must be present which are incurred directly as a result of the disability.

How do I apply for this program?

Parents applying for ACSD benefits need to obtain an application form from the nearest MCYS Regional Office. Once completed, the application form should be returned to the Regional Office. Any available supporting documentation should accompany the application.

A Special Agreements Officer will review your application and contact you if further information is required. The decision about your application will be communicated in writing.

The rate is calculated in two steps:

  1. Calculate extraordinary special needs costs; and
  2. Assess the special needs costs in relation to total family income.

Whom do I contact for more information?

For more information on Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities, please contact one of the following:

  • MCYS Regional Office;
  • the Ontario Disability Support Program Office. Telephone numbers are also listed in the blue pages of the telephone book; or
  • A Municipal Ontario Works Office. Local offices are listed in the blue pages of the telephone book.